Because Family Matters…
The Family is the building block of society and the cornerstone of humanity. It is the first line of socialization for young children learning about the world and usually the first means of support that we seek out when we face life’s many challenges even as independent adults.
But the reality of the family situation in the West is grim and harsh. It is as if every day we are witnesses to what happens when the family unit breaks down. Needless to say, the results are not pretty. Broken families, soaring divorce rates, teen pregnancies, drug and alcohol use, depression and even suicide are all rising at an alarming rate. And due to the so called post-modern global village that we live in, these problems are not limited to Western societies but are now spreading to many corners of the world.
The importance of the family in society cannot be overemphasized and it is for this reason that we have focused our efforts on marital and parenting issues. Anything that concerns families, concerns us. The goal of Family Dawn is to provide a portal of information for concerned parents and couples seeking knowledge in the areas of parenting and marriage. It is our hope that by addressing the problems from their roots, we can help build strong family units that will in turn build strong human beings and a beautiful society.
About the Founders
Drs. Ekram and Mohamed Rida Beshir came to North America in 1973. They were blessed with 4 children whom they raised to be dedicated and active Muslim workers. As a wife-husband team, they together authored several bestselling parenting, marriage, and family books in North America – including:
- Meeting the Challenge of Parenting in the West, an Islamic Perspective
- Muslim Teens, Today’s Worry, Tomorrow’s Hope, a Practical Islamic Parenting Guide
- Blissful Marriage
- Parenting Skills based on Qur’an and Sunnah
- Awladona Akbadona (Arabic translation of Meeting the Challenge of Parenting in the West)
- When Muslim Teens Rebel
- Frequently Asked Questions (Parts I and II)
Some of their parenting books have been translated into French and German and are currently being translated to Malaysian, Bosnian, Indonesian, and Albanian. They are teaching two courses on the subject of “Parenting in North America” with the Islamic American University. Both are regular contributors to the Family Section of several magazines, including “The American Muslim,” “Islamic Horizons,” “The Message,” and “Muslim Family”. Drs. Ekram and Mohamed Rida Beshir are the recipients of the City of Ottawa Certificate of Appreciation for the year 2003 for their volunteer work in the area of Education as well as other City of Ottawa awards for valuable services to community children in 2006. They have traveled extensively, presenting workshops to various Muslim communities all over the world.
Dr. Ekram Beshir
- She is a medical doctor by profession, with a background in child psychology.
- She is the founder of both Abraar full time Islamic school and Rahma School, a weekend Arabic and Islamic school, in Ottawa, Canada.
- She is the recipient of the Director’s Citation Award of the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board for the year 2000 for her contribution in the area of education from among 7000 employees of the board.
- She has been very active with the Muslim community in Ottawa in the areas of study circles, children and youth camps, sisters programs, and marriage counseling.
- She has traveled extensively to various parts of the world to present parenting workshops.
- She has also authored other books for teaching Arabic to Muslim children living in Non- Arabic speaking countries.
Dr. Mohamed Rida Beshir
- He has over 35 years of experience in Da’wa work in North America.
- He is an Engineer by profession.
- He has held various positions with the Muslim Student’s Association (MSA), Islamic Society of North America (ISNA), and Muslim American Society (MAS) on both national and local levels.
- He led the training and development department of the Muslim American Society (MAS) for 6 years and served as a member in the department for over two decades. Currently he is still advising the Muslim Association of Canada (MAC) and MAS departments on Tarbiyah matters.
- He is a regular speaker at ISNA, ICNA, MSA, MAC, and MAS conventions.
- He is one of the founders of Human Concern International (HCI) and served as their Vice President for over a decade.
- He is the recipient of the Ottawa Muslim Association and Ottawa Muslim Community Circle appreciation awards in 1993 and 1999 for his volunteer Islamic work in the National Capital region.
- He is a member of the advisory board of SIFCA “Shura of Islamic Family Counselors of America”
- He is actively developing and delivering training programs to various Muslim communities all over the world.